Monday, September 13, 2010

Gestational Diabetes


Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) is defined as carbohydrates intolerance of variable severity. It is a condition that develops during pregnancy. The mother has an abnormally large amount of sugar in her blood. It usually resolves itself after the baby is born.
In the 21st week of my pregnancy, I was diagnosed as borderline case of gestational diabetes. My sugar levels were not very high but if I did not control my diet, it could well develop Gestational Diabetes. I was somehow terrified of the idea of injecting insulin everyday. So I tried to control it will strict diet and I can say that I have been successful in it. Trust me, controlling diet is not very easy especially for a person like me who had crazy sweet tooth :(
Consequences:
• One of the main concern of having too much sugar in your blood is that it crosses the placenta to your baby which means that baby can grow big. A big baby makes labor and delivery more difficult and the chances that you might end up having caesarean section are very high.
• Another cause for worry is that too much insulin or glucose in baby’s system may delay lung maturation and cause respiratory/breathing difficulties in babies especially the ones which are born before 37 weeks.
• Baby might develop Hypoglycemia immediately after birth. Hypoglycemia which refers to low blood sugar in the baby immediately after delivery. This problem occurs if the mother’s blood sugar levels have been consistently high, causing the fetus to have a high level of insulin in its circulation. After delivery, the baby continues to have a high insulin level, but it no longer has the high level of sugar from its mother, resulting in the newborn’s blood sugar level becoming very low.
What worked for me:
1) Taking 1 spoonful of Methi powder everyday morning of empty stomach with water. Its very effective, though it tastes horrible. First few days were difficult, but now I am used to it.
2) No sugar in coffee, tea, milk etc or in any form. Please refrain from taking sugar substitutes as they cause more harm than good.
3) Eating small and frequent meals on time. Avoid eating junk food.
4) Reduce intake of carbohydrate or at least eat less carbohydrate at breakfast as this is when insulin resistance is greatest.
5) Avoid eating fruits which are rich in sugar content like Mangoes, Papaya, Sapota etc. Replace them with Apple, citrus fruits like Orange, Sweet lime etc.
6) Choose food high in fiber such has whole grains, breads, cereals and greens.
7) Drink at least 8 glasses of water
With my doctor’s permission, I used to indulge in sweets once in a while as an occasional treat ;)
Way forward
In my antenatal appointment at 31 weeks myOB/GYN had told me that she might induce me at 38 weeks if the baby’s weighs too much. She advised me to get a glucometer and monitor the sugar levels every alternative day. I bought One Touch glucometer which is very simple to use and monitored the blood sugar levels every alternative days. One day I did fasting and then after breakfast, then fasting and post lunch and so on. I recorded each days reading and my blood sugar level was fairly consistent and within normal range. So in my recent appointment, she was quite happy with the sugar levels and told me that we will wait till the due date if it goes the same way. So keeping my fingers crossed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment